15 January 2008

Lesser of Two Evils

Oh dear. Pop is back with a vengeance. I'm not talking about the good kind of pop here either - no, I'm talking about the majority of the pop world nowadays that all sounds the same and sends out messages subconsciously to your brain (emotions, normally). But it sticks in your head, doesn't it?

Allow me to explain: this week, the nominations for the ever-popular Brit Awards were announced. Among the artists who were heavily nominated were Leona Lewis, Take That, Arctic Monkeys and Mika . I find Mika completely irritating because he has possibly the highest voice to ever grace a man, and he prances around the stage with giant stuffed animals and plastic people (in a word, disturbing). However, whenever I hear one of his songs it ends up stuck in my head all day (and it must be with superglue - all attempts to banish the evil demon songs from my brain fail). As for Leona Lewis, I can safely say that if she sings that song once more, the world will be put into a state of constant depression. I am, of course, referring to the cringeworthy Bleeding Love which, amazingly, stayed at the top of the charts for weeks - how many, I don't know. Frankly, I don't want to know. At least Take That, who were always the best boy band (if there was a good one at all), are writing pop songs that are neither ridiculous, sappy or depressing.

Maybe at this point I should point out that most of the music world is now actually dominated by rap and R&B. At least a new wave of pop will keep us from hearing some of the awful (or rather, disgusting) "lyrics" that come from these artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may make reasonable comments if you wish but ALL comments will be moderated for content and language. So be warned.