24 December 2007

I Must Have Been In A Daze Not To Notice!

It's my second post of today! I must be very motivated...

This post regards The Long Blondes' debut Someone to Drive You Home. I've had it for a year now but it was only today when hearing Once and Never Again that I realised that the first half of the album is rather clever. I suspected that something about it was unusual because it is sectioned off from the rest of the tracklisting on the back of the album cover. Well, I've cracked it at last! It's like two mini-concept-albums!

The concept, in my opinion, is a story about a boy and a girl in a relationship. It all seems pretty basic until you really listen and start to pick up the links. It starts with Lust in the Movies, where the girl seems to be pretty crazy about the boy (there are no names given, we can only discern the genders from the lyrics). At this point, they're spending a lot of time together. Once and Never Again documents when they start to drift apart. In my opinion, Only Lovers Left Alive is about how the boy's eye is starting to wander and Giddy Stratospheres documents this further. In the Company of Women is clearly about how the girl realises what is happening. It all ends badly and Heaven Help the New Girl tells us about their break-up. I think what is very clever about all of this though, is that it is all written from the perspectives of different people in the story. It all sounds very simple, but it's brilliant; I love it. I can't wait for their new album to come out in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may make reasonable comments if you wish but ALL comments will be moderated for content and language. So be warned.